Published on January 6th, 2018 | by RB TeamPhoto by Ian Stokes | 0
Lunch Counter is one of the most famous rapids on the Snake River. Lunch Counter Wave is located somewhere near Alpine in Wyoming, parallel to the US Highway 89, south of Jackson. California Curler, Lunch Counter and Big Kahuna are river surf spots on this river. There is also a smaller and hard to surf wave right behind Lunch Counter, called “Juice Box”.
- Snake River, Alpine, Wyoming, United States
- The spot is located after a bend where Little Red Creek and Red Creek flow into the snake river. You can scout this on the left side of the river if you are above Big Kahuna.
- Parking: Park your car at the Lunch Counter/Kahuna Overlook and then take the trail to the Lunch Counter Wave.
- Snake River
- Alpine WY
Nearest Surf Shops
- Latitude: 43.196479
- Longitude: -110.91863394
How to Get There
- This wave is best surfed from 9,000 to 13,000 cfs.
- This wave can be surfed from 2,000 to 22,000 cfs.
- At high water this is probably the best wave on the river. Surfing is possible at any levels for kayakers.
- At 16,000 cfs this wave can be as high as 10ft, normally 4-5ft.
- Beware of tourist rafters floating down the river frequently.
- Expect some lateral waves that bounce off the walls.
- Above 12,000 cfs a long board is recommended.
Alpine WY Weather